ERP Energy related Products Directive
ErP requirements meet Atlantic know-how
Ecodesign Directive, also called Energy related Products Directive, has been introduced by the European Union as part of a climate protection program and its commitment to reduce carbon emissions.
The Ecodesign defines minimum efficiency requirements for energy-related products such as water heaters, heat pumps, boilers, solar water heaters electric panel heaters and bathroom heaters.
What is the main challenge of the ErP regulation ?
With the new ErP regulation the EU plans to achieve the so-called 20-20-20 target, which aims, by 2020, to:
- Decrease CO² emissions by 20%
- Reduce the use of primary energy by 20%
- Increase renewable energy share by 20%
These actions will have a strong positive impact in terms of environmental protection and energy savings stimulation.
1. Ecodesign Directive sets minimum acceptable energy efficiency levels, as well as environmental requirements for energy-related products.
The Ecodesign applies to:
- Renewable energy water heaters (solar, heat pumps)
- Electric water heaters
- Heat pumps with a rated heat output < 400kW
- Electric panel heaters (2018)
- Bathroom heaters (2018)
2. Energy Labeling Directive imposes mandatory classification of every energy-related product in terms of energy consumption, noise level and other product-specific information.
All water heaters, heat pumps and boilers need to be ranked from A (highest efficiency) to G (lowest efficiency). However, there are additional categories (A+, A++ an A+++) which will be used for high-performance products such as heat pumps. There is no labelling for electric heating products but they must reach a minimum ErP rating in order to be ErP-compliant.
Effective from 1 January 2018, the new ErP regulation aim to optimize energy savings on CE marked products. This regulation will apply to all electric heating products: convectors, extensive heat panel heaters, radiators and bathroom radiators.
ErP regulation is based on a calculation of energy efficiency (Ns). Appliances must reach a minimum required result depending on their installation (fixed or mobile). The energy efficiency calculation is based on two criteria:
- Performance of regulation such as basic mechanical thermostat, electronic thermostat or digital weekly programmer.
- Presence of advanced features such as presence/absence detector, remote piloting or open windows detector.
To be ErP-compliant an electric heating product must reach an ErP rating (Ns) of 36% for mobile devices and 38% for fix devices. All Atlantic electric panel heaters are ErP-ready, providing you the best quality, safety and savings.
By imposing a restriction on the power consumption of energy-related products, the ErP Directive will stimulate manufacturers to create more efficient and performant products, which will consume less energy, for lower costs.
In addition, the Directive will exclude from the market all low performance energy-using products that don’t meet the Ecodesign Directive requirements.
At Atlantic, we welcome and actively support the new ErP regulation. As an expert in water heating and an innovative company who owns several patented technologies, we understand the importance of improving the energy-related products energy efficiency and global performance. That’s why all Atlantic water heaters, heat pumps and solar water heaters are already ErP-ready!
Moreover, Atlantic is already prepared for the future ErP requirements on electric heating with the same dedication it showed for the previous ErP requirements on heat pumps and water heating solutions.
Making ErP-compliant products and constantly working on quality and efficiency improvement, Atlantic allows its end-users and partners to benefit from the new European directive.
Benefits for end-users:
- Increased long-term energy efficiency allowing energy and money savings
- Contribution to environmental protection due to reduced greenhouse gas emissions
- Easier product choice thanks to energy information transparency
- Removal of inefficient and polluting products from the market
Benefits for partners:
- Professional expertise reinforced with high-quality and environment-friendly products
- Fruitful partnership with an innovative company constantly improving its products energy efficiency
- Association with a renowned French brand that vis continuously expanding worldwide
- Full support and guidance in customer relation management regarding low energy products
You will find the energy efficiency classification on each Atlantic product page and on the technical sheets of the products which fall under the ErP regulation.